Future of NASA: Final Score
The Review of U.S. Human Space Flight Plans Committee, often known as the Augustine Committee, held another public meeting today to discuss the final scoring of each option. I previously posted timelines for most of the options, here listed with their line numbers as specified in the summary report.
- 1: The Program of Record (Constrained Budget)
- 2: ISS Focused (Constrained Budget)
- 3: The Program of Record (Increased Budget)
- 4A: ISS Focused (Increased Budget)
- 4B: ISS/Shuttle Extension
- 5A: Flexible Path (Ares V “Light”)
- 5B: Flexible Path (Commercial HLV)
- 5C: Flexible Path (Shuttle Derived)
Here’s the final score, including numbers from both the August 12 and October 8 meetings. The meaning of each score is described in the evaluation criteria document.
|PoR||ISS||Moon First||Flexible Path|
|Mission safety profile||0||0||-1||-1||-2||-1||-2||-2|
|Schedule & program risk||-2||-2||0||0||0||1||1||1|
|Life cycle costs||0||1||0||1||0||1||2||0|
- “Transcript: Public Meeting“. Review of US Human Space Flight Plans Committee. 12 August 2009.
- “Summary Report“. Review of US Human Space Flight Plans Committee. 8 September 2009.
- “Scoring Update“. Review of US Human Space Flight Plans Committee. 8 October 2009.